Friday, December 30, 2011

My Daughter's Awesome Self Esteem

When I was eleven years old, I was so self-conscious, it was painful! I was constantly worried about what other people thought of me and whether or not I was pretty or thin or good enough. It was an awful way for a beautiful, talented little girl to live. I have tried really hard to tell my daughters that they are wonderful and beautiful and smart and talented and important. I'd like to think that they are getting the picture and I really think that Audrey is, and that makes me happy. Recently, she decided that she wanted to express herself through her hair. I pondered this request for a while and I decided that I would let her. I don't want to be one of those moms who never let their kids do anything and then eventually the kids do a major backfire and do everything against their parents will. So, I gave in to this little thing. Hair grows back, or at least that's what I keep telling myself. I don't particularly like the new hairdo, but Audrey does, and it makes her feel powerful. So, that's what I DO like about it. I truly hope with all my heart that as Audrey gets older and enters middle school that this self-esteem of hers will continue to be so strong.

2 comments:

Lemonhead said...

yea for my confident, brave, AWESOME niece! i love that Audrey's cool enough to make this big change just for herself. I love you my rockstar, Audrey Madison! - Sam

Holland said...

she is a rockstar!!!!