Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Countdown

This morning, like the psycho I am lately, I ran three miles. To some, this may not seem like a lot, but from the moment I dragged my sorry butt out of bed, through the moments of sluggishly getting dressed and out the door, I knew that this was going to be the longest three miles of my life. All right, maybe that is a stretch, but pretty darn near the longest! I started out strong. My first mile was around 10:30! Not bad for me! Then, I started to slow down. And, I really mean slow...down... My next mile was about 12:30 and the next was close to 13 simply because I walked a lot of it.

My countdown is to my half marathon in October. I have a little over 90 days to get myself ready for it, and quite frankly, I don't know if I will be ready! My time is declined quite significantly over the past few weeks, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why. Is it because I am not cross training enough? Do I need to get back on my weight lifting routine with Jillian? Do I need to eat a banana as I go out the door in the morning or maybe carbo load the night before? Whatever it is, I had better find out soon, because the countdown is on, baby! 90 days to go! I had better be ready!

1 comment:

Holland said...

Honestly, the longer the breaks you take between runs (day-to-day I mean), it will be almost equally as hard every time. As long as you stay consistent and run every OTHER day (give your muscles time to relax and get strong for a day), you will find that each time you run 3 miles, you will be able to go a little longer each time without having to walk. And I always have to tell myself that the "weakness" I'm feeling is all mental. A technique I use is to find a mark ahead, and make it a goal to run to that, then once I've reached that, find another mark, run to that, etc. It makes the mental game much easier, therefore the run easier! Eat carbs the night before a good run, and granola or something with a little energy in the morning. Eat a banana after, this will prevent cramps in the legs in the evening.