Friday, July 22, 2011

My Cub Scout

Well, I just spent a good ten minutes writing this cute little entry about Dallin (again, I know). Then I tried to post it and it was erased!! Crap! So, now I have to write again. So, here goes. Please understand that I do think of my children equally and love them equally, but lately Dallin has been doing a lot of things that are too funny not to share. Last night he and I went on a bike ride date. I took him to the Jordan River Parkway, which is this beautiful stretch of bike and running paths next to the Jordan River. Anyway, I was all excited to take him because I thought he genuinely loved to ride his bike. Well, I was wrong! We only rode maybe four miles total which on a bike shouldn't take very long. But, because he was complaining most of the time, it took us just under 45 minutes. I couldn't believe it! When I was his age, I LIVED outside during the summer. Now, my kids would rather spend most of their time inside. I try to limit their TV time, but I am wondering if I should just take it away altogether so they are forced to be creative and to be outside. "My knees ache, there are bugs on me, my butt hurts, this is taking forever..." The list goes on and on as to the complaints that came out of that boy's mouth! I swear, that was not the way I planned our little date, so honestly, I am not entirely sure I will ever want to try it again with him.

On a more positive note, he is attending his first-ever Cub Scout Day Camp today. He is so excited. We had to be at the church at 7 this morning and he was up in my room fully dressed at 6:15. When we were waiting at the church for everyone to arrive, he was acting a little goofy with the other boys, then he came over to me and whispered, "Mom, I am SO nervous." It made me a little teary-eyed, but luckily, I kept it together. I gave him a kiss and a hug and I told him that he was going to have so much fun! On the inside I was screaming that we needed to hop back into the van and race home and I was never going to let him leave me. But, I know that he won't grow if Mom always coddles him. Luckily, my dear friend, Carina, is going to be there all day, so she told me she would keep an extra eye on him. That made me feel much better! Tomorrow when he goes, Mike will be with him all day, so I will definitely rest easiest tomorrow. Let's just hope he doesn't get asked to do any physical exercise at camp, otherwise those leaders are going to get a taste of what I did last night! I don't know, though. Aren't kids always much better for other adults? Yeah...

1 comment:

Lemonhead said...

BAhahahaha, i laughed so hard at all his complaining on the bike ride!! i could practically hear it. love that kid.
-sam